Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Review of Amy's Veggie Loaf Whole Meal

 Review of Amy's Veggie Loaf Whole Meal
Amy's Kitchen is a well-known company that specializes in organic, vegetarian or vegan dishes. A majority of the items they offer are frozen dinners, conveniently packaged so that you can take them anywhere you need to (provided there is a freezer in the vicinity). Sounds like a vegetarian's dream, but is it?
I picked up an Amy's Veggie Loaf Whole Meal because as a meat eater I always had a soft spot for a good meatloaf. And while I can't say this perfectly emulated a meatloaf, it was very delicious. My only quarrel was the price, at my local grocer it was a whopping $7 CAD! However, for quality, organic food free of meat, I was willing to give this a try.
This particular meal consists of mashed potatoes and a pea/corn vegetable mix next to a "meat" loaf slice topped in brown gravy. I cooked mine in the microwave for 5 minutes, but you can also cook this in the oven or even in a toaster oven! Upon completion this meal was steaming hot, smelled amazing and looked very fresh, and not at all like a typical frozen dinner.
The potatoes were not at all lumpy, smooth and mashed. The peas and corn weren't dry or overcooked, but tasted very close to fresh cooked vegetables. As for the loaf itself, it kind of reminded me of the turkey stuffing my mother used to make. There were hints of celery and rosemary, and the gravy made a great topping. Honestly, I could easily eat this meal at Thanksgiving.
In summary, this meal is filling, low in sodium, and high in taste. I may not buy it all the time due to the price, but I will be repurchasing as a treat now and then. 

No comments:

Post a Comment