Wednesday, August 12, 2015

How to Make Your Own Natural All-Purpose Cleaner

How to Make Your Own Natural All-Purpose Cleaner
As I got more and more into the natural, green movement, I realized that I didn't want my home filled with the harmful chemicals that are used to make things "clean". The smell was making me sick and I was worried about young kids getting their hands on the stuff.

I tried vinegar and couldn't stand the smell. I also tried the all-natural cleaners at the market but couldn't stand the price. So, I decided to make my own. It became very affordable and here's how I started. I didn't follow a recipe, I just used what I knew about natural products to come up with a nifty and economical concoction.

Essential Oils

Essential oils are really good for cleaning because they contain natural anti-bacterial, anti-microbial and anti-fungal ingredients. Most chemicals are designed to act like what nature offers but add tons of nasty ingredients to do so. However, essential oils are natural cleaning agents and don't cause damage to any of your clothes or furniture. You can choose ones like lemon, lemongrass, tea tree, lime and orange. These all contain anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties. You can find them at most health stores. They also add a great, rich smell to your cleaners.

Coconut oil

Coconut oil is another goody because it is natural anti-bacterial, as well. It is a great oil because it is beneficial and affordable. You can buy it in large quantities and add as much as you need to your all purpose cleaners. It has a great smell and is not overly greasy as to soak your furniture.

Witch Hazel

While, it may be known as a good skin astringent. Witch Hazel is pretty good for cleaning, too. I know many ingredients out there call for ethyl alcohol in their cleaners, which can be very strong, dangerous around children and pets, and can damage furniture. Witch Hazel is a gentle alternative that soaks up grease and stains.

How to Make


The best way to start is to use a standard 16 oz. bottle of witch hazel, add about 3 oz. of coconut oil and a few drops of essential oil. You can adjust this recipe how you'd like. If you're cleaning wooden furniture, you may want to add more oil and less witch hazel to condition the furniture while cleaning it. If you're cleaning general surfaces, you may want to add less oils to ensure that your surfaces aren't overly greasy. Mix your ingredients in a spray bottle and clean away.

No comments:

Post a Comment