Friday, August 14, 2015

How to Leave Negative Thoughts and Return to Positivity

How to Leave Negative Thoughts and Return to Positivity
There is a book called As A Man Thinketh. Even if you never read the book (which I recommend), the title says volumes. As a man thinketh, so is he. What we think defines who we are. From personal experience I have to admit I don't always remember that. It's also easy to see that I'm not alone.

Letting Go

Are you neophobic? Let it go. Do you feel righteous anger? Let it go. Is a situation frustrating? You get the idea. You know what, it's really easy to write or speak that. Negative thoughts have an appeal in a sense. They're really easy to justify, at least on the surface. The problem is that they will eat you alive.

Changing the Mental Subject

This takes effort. Negative emotions and thoughts are like sliding down a hill…it's easy. Climbing back to a positive mood can take time and work. It's not always a snap of the fingers. The following are things I use when I catch myself sliding down that slope.

Reading

We have a large library and there are many books that can uplift a flagging spirit, soothe frustration and help get a handle on anger. In order to maintain some sort of equilibrium, I read and reread them. Chief among them include the Bible and books written on topics in it. Being drawn back to my faith helps.

Music

While religious music is helpful, this doesn't have to be the case. Folk songs, silly songs and musicals can be beneficial. Be careful that the music you choose doesn't support the negative emotion you're fighting. There are plenty of those out there.

About the Television

To be honest, a lot of what's on television tends to inspire negative thoughts. Be careful what you choose to watch that it doesn't leave you feeling worse than when you turned it on.

Meditation

There are many Psalms and passages that you can center meditation on. I use the Lord's Prayer and the 23rd Psalm. I imagine each segment, feel it and let it calm me down. I have these passages memorized and I recommend that you memorize what you use as well.

When to Get Help

There are times when negative emotions and thoughts can't be resolved alone. Depression and anxiety are two good examples. If these simple methods don't help, see your doctor. It could be a disorder that requires medication and/or counseling. Don't consider this a cop-out. Needing help isn't weakness. Getting help is a sign of strength.

No comments:

Post a Comment