Saturday, August 22, 2015

Alternative Treatments for Asthma

Alternative Treatments for Asthma
I was diagnosed with asthma when I was just a child, and have been living with the condition ever since. Over the years I have used conventional medication, like corticosteroids and beta-2 agonists, to control it and prevent outbreaks. I have also sampled a good deal of alternative treatments for asthma. Some have had success. With some, like many things in alternative medicine, it's hard to tell.
I have compiled a short list of things I have tried and have decided to share it with all of you in the hopes it will help you control your own asthma and live healthier. As always, consulting your doctor before taking alternative medication is absolutely necessary.

Dietary Choices

Eating healthy is important for anybody. Getting certain kinds Dietary choices including eating sulfite containing foods, the intake of vitamins C and D, and consuming foods heavy in omega-3 fatty acids. Foods with anti-oxidants also come recommended. Ever since I made a point of getting plenty of these things in my everyday diet. I have experienced less asthma outbreaks and don't need to use my inhaler as much.

Exercise and Other Practices

Other lifestyle choices those with asthma have made is to exercise daily and do holistic practices like yoga. Getting exercise daily helps your body better manage and control asthma. Running a few times a week over the past few years has helped me boost my lung function and hence breathe better. Acupuncture is another popular alternative method, but the positive benefits of this have not been proven. I did this once in China and did not notice anything different. Practicing breathing methods, such as using abdominal muscles to produce long and slow breaths, have been reported to help. I try to take some time each day to work on my breathing technique. I do not know if it has helped but it certainly relaxes me. Chiropractic treatment, relaxation therapy, and massage are other options I have researched and heard of fellow family members with asthma trying.

Herbs

Herbs most promising in treating asthma include dried ivy, gingko extract, choline, tylophora Indica, and others used in Eastern medicine. Before using these, consult with a doctor that specializes in this field concerning the correct dose, the quality of certain products, and possible side-effects. I have tried a view of these, like dried ivy, but from a personal standpoint have only noticed temporary improvement in my breathing with these natural medicines. With these herbs, do not self-medicate, and always take into account the safety and effectiveness of a medication before trying it.

No comments:

Post a Comment