Friday, July 17, 2015

They Who Did Not Love it as it Was


They Who Did Not Love it as it Was
Being an African American woman, it is amazing to think that hair plays such a large role in my life. When I was a baby, I had a lot of soft curly hair that my mom struggled to deal with. One day she took me to my aunt's hair salon so she could tame my beautiful curly mass of hair. My aunt complied and put a chemical in my hair. I think it was a new kind of relaxer, and all of my hair fell out. Needless to say, my mom had a fit and my aunt never used that stuff again.

I was just a baby so I didn't care what happened to my head. In fact, when I heard that story, all I could do was laugh, but now that I'm thinking about it, I would be mad if that happened again right now. My hair holds memories of the different phases in my life. I went from four little pigtails with flower barrette, to three pigtails, and occasionally cornrows with beads. Then to two pigtails awaiting the day I could wear I single ponytail like the big girls. When that day finally came, a ponytail was nothing special and I wanted to wear my hair down like my mom. Her hair was long and always beautiful.

Before the recent months, I never reflected on all the things I do to my hair. I get relaxers, I blow dry it and I flat iron it. I do everything I can to keep it from being in its natural form. In my family, all the woman straightened their hair. Because of that, I never wondered why I went through all the trouble. Now that I think about it, beautiful hair in my family is straight hair. The girls with the longest hair, most relaxed and best styled hair are the prettiest.

In African American culture, hair is one of the most important attributes - so important that African American hair culture has become divided by two very different ideas of "good hair." The most common type of "good hair" is straight hair achieved by relaxers and weave. The other is tightly, coiled "nappy" natural hair. The extreme ideals are fueling wars in our own community.

Relaxers

Within the black community, relaxers are commonly called perms. A relaxer is chemical treatment to straighten hair at the roots. A relaxer is the best way to straighten the tightly coiled hair that many African Americans have. The problem is the damage a relaxer does to the hair and scalp. It's made of hazardous chemicals. For some people, a relaxer does minimal visual damage to a person's head. For others it dries the hair out, leaves chemical scabs and ultimately eats away the hair.

Weave

Weave is increasingly popular. The richest stars to poorest women in the hood wear weaves. They do it for the straightness, the styles, the different lengths (usually long) and different colors - all without altering their real hair. The main problem with weaves is the cost. A good weave goes for thousands of dollars, then the hair stylist hundreds more depending the method and demand. This paper will not focus on weave, but weave is such a large piece of the hair culture it must be mentioned.

Natural

Most women avoid their natural hair. African-American natural hair has many variations. This is because A: not all African tribes have the same type of hair; and B: there is so much mixing of races within the community few are fully "African" American. Our natural hair can be the tightest of nappy curls or the softest loose curls. Regardless of the texture, it is always big. Natural hair is very versatile. You can have a glorious mane, dreadlocks, braids of many styles, or even flat iron it straight. All of the textures are harder to manage than straight hair but natural women seem to be 'freer' than chemically treated women.

Health

Many African American women are the picture of bad health in America. The biggest problem is the love for soul food; the sub-problem is the love of hair. "Benjamin [a female African American surgeon], who has been criticized for being overweight herself, recently told the New York Times: "Oftentimes you get women saying, "I can't exercise today because I don't want to sweat my hair back or get my hair wet." I hate to use the word 'excuse' but that's one of them'" (Mitchell). A lot of women don't exercise because their hair will be ruined. In middle school and high school, so many girls walked when they should have run, lifted 10 pounds when they should have lifted 35 pounds, all in the name of hair. Some girls even fail gym classes if swimming is required. Other girls bring in their mothers to excuse them. Water is hair's biggest enemy. It is a silly idea, but from a financial standpoint, it makes sense. Depending on the style, relaxer or weave, it could take anywhere from three hours to 12 hours to finish and cost anywhere $70 to $4,000. Having a good head is better than a good body. This being said a lot black women are upset that hair is used as an excuse. There are overweight women with natural hair, and there are slim women with straightened hair. Another argument is that wigs and weaves can be used, so hair is hardly a reason to be inactive (Mitchell).

Also, relaxers leave damage on the scalp. Hydroxide compounds, Hydrogen Peroxide, and Phosphoric Acid are common and dangerous ingredients in relaxers. These chemicals break the protein bonds. Sodium hydroxide and calcium hydroxide do the most hair damage. That is one reason so many black women have short hair. These chemicals can melt metals. Also, "the Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry, a branch of Department of Health and Human Services, acknowledges 'reports of cancer of the esophagus 15 to 40 years (after exposure), caused by corrosion induced by sodium hydroxide.' These malignancies, it says, 'were most likely the result of tissue destruction and scar formation rather than a direct carcinogenic action of sodium hydroxide itself'" (Singleton). Phosphoric Acid actually goes inside the body and can harm internal organs.

Self-Esteem

The black community largely agrees that straighter hair is better hair. There is an inner struggle that won't allow for our natural beauty to be seen as beautiful. It starts with little girls. They see their mothers, grandmothers, aunts, classmates and celebrities with straight hair. So they want it too. Some girls even get relaxers before they are two years old. I was one. Fortunately, I didn't end up like a lot of little girls. My hair didn't dry out and become short, nor do I have a negative view of natural hair. I actually think the big curly look works well with our facial features. However, even in the households where natural hair is promoted young girls feel pressure, as well as curiosity, about straightening their hair.

Erica Blerins, a hair stylist at Oh! My Nappy Hair Salon, was raised in such an environment. She was a girl with 'good' loose curls born in a family of women who had tight nappy hair. 'Nappy' is an affectionate term for her, nappy simply means curly. She didn't like that her hair was looser, she wanted to look more like her mother. As she grew older, Erica's hair became bigger and longer and harder to manage, so in high school she got her first relaxer. All her friends were doing it so it seemed like a good idea. By the end of high school she realized her was getting shorter, it was drier and wasn't what she wanted and never had a relaxer again. It was not worth it for her. I recently read an online article about the use of relaxers and one woman, Galsene Wife, left a profound comment, "We have the only hair in the world that can't be created, duplicated, bought, or sold but yet we destroy it for the Eurocentric look…" (Black Girl With Long Hair.com). Not all women do it for a Eurocentric look, Erica didn't and I don't; but natural black hair is unique to only us, but is not valued by us.

How it Began

This hair battle is an unfortunate result of our past. When the slave trades started and Africans were taken to the west, 'good hair' was not used in reference to 'pretty hair.' Ayana Bird, a guest speaker on the Tyra Banks Show and author of Hair Story: Untangling the Roots of Black Hair in America, says It was a survival term. Slaves with looser curls and softer hair were in some way connected to the master; thus more likely to work in the house and eventually be freed when the master died. Black people with 'good hair' were more likely to survive. After slavery, 'good hair' was still a survival term well over 100 years later. African Americans with natural curly hair had a tougher time finding jobs, especially jobs requiring a suit. The natural look isn't considered professional, so African Americans (women especially) used relaxers and weaves to achieve the professional look. Along with that, mainstream America constantly said African Americans were ugly. It reached the point where most African Americans believe that straightening their hair is the only way to obtain some level of beauty. Because of this, many older generations have a fear of natural hair. They suffered and found ways around natural hair so the future generations could blend in society and be accepted.

Hair is not just decoration on our heads anymore. What should be a simple extension of ourselves and self expression is now a tool to formulate stereotypes of up-bringing, morals and beliefs. Somewhere in time, we lost ourselves while searching for acceptance and familiarity. Now as we continue to find ourselves, some choose to revert back to what is natural for health and pride. For others of us straightening their hair for the ease, the look, the comfort is the best thing to do. Whichever hair choice an individual makes is ok as long as care and health is the primary concern. Erica Blerins believes that as long as a person has hair, they keep it clean, conditioned, and trimmed so the hair is healthy it is good hair. "That is the real definition of 'good hair.'

No comments:

Post a Comment