Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Married Under the Mistletoe

Married Under the Mistletoe
Every little girl wants the perfect wedding. Throughout our childhood we play wedding and plan out little details. As a little girl I always wanted a Christmas wedding. I loved the color of Christmas flowers, the sparkling white snow infatuated me and the thought of being married beside a Christmas tree intrigued me. What could be prettier than being married under the mistletoe? The thought of it was romantic almost like it was out of a fairytale. That is what every little girl wants is to feel like a princess.
The day that my boyfriend, at the time, Todd popped the question I knew without a doubt what the date would be. Just like when I was child I wanted to have a Christmas wedding. It seemed easy enough when I thought about it, but when I brought the idea up in front of my family they had other plans. They all agreed that I should be married around Christmas, but just not on that specific date. They said it would take away from the essence of the holiday and I would have to share my special day with a special holiday. After thinking on the subject I decided to agree with me and make a compromise. Instead of being married exactly on Christmas, I agreed to set the date for two days after Christmas. This way I wouldn't have to share the holiday, but I would still have the feel of the holiday in my details. I knew without a doubt I wanted to be married beside a Christmas tree and under the mistletoe.
Planning the wedding was easy and as the days grew closer everything seemed to be coming together perfectly. The ceremony would take place in the local community center, which also had a big and beautiful Christmas tree. There wasn't any mistletoe hanging there, but we could bring our own to hang up. My bridesmaids would wear green and my bouquet was of Christmas flowers. It was going to be gorgeous and I could not be more excited about the special day. The only thing that would make it more perfect would be snow, but snow could also jeopardize the special day. A light snow would be beautiful, but a heavy snow could make it hard for guest to get to the ceremony. I couldn't have a ceremony without guests because family is very important me. As I watched the weather forecast four days before the ceremony I could only hope that the forecast would be wrong. The weather man was forecast sleet and then snow on the day of my wedding. If there was sleet then would I even be able to have my dream wedding?
I was almost tempted to postpone the ceremony, but then my grandma came up with the idea to wait it out. She said that maybe we should wait two more days and see if the forecast changed. Since I really wanted to have the wedding I quickly agreed clinging to the hope she would be right. Two days before the wedding we again watched the weather channel. As my grandmother had predicted the weather had changed and was only forecasting rain. A flood of relief washed over me because only days before had I been on verge of having to cancel my dream day.
Soon the day of the wedding was here and I was so excited. I was being married under the beautiful Christmas tree and kissing my now husband under the mistletoe. Even though it was cold outside and I almost had to cancel it was all well worth it. Sometimes I wonder if all the stress and hoping on the weather was worth the date. Then I look back on the pictures and I know it was.
If I had to give advice to someone wanting to get married in the winter I would have to tell them to go for it. It can be stressful and you have to hope the weather will go your way. If you can deal with all that and you really want it then do what you want to do. A dream wedding is well worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment