Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Going Vegetarian: 5 Tips for an Easy Transition

Going Vegetarian: 5 Tips for an Easy Transition
I went vegetarian December 8, 2011 after being diagnosed with gout. I'd toyed with the idea before, since heart disease is rampant in my family and studies have shown that a vegetarian diet can cut the risk, but it was a single painful gout episode that convinced me. I thought it would be a difficult transition, but it wasn't and a few weeks later, I found I had more energy, felt better than I had in years, and didn't miss meat. If you're thinking about going vegetarian, here are some tips.
Get a Good Cook Book
Vegetarian cuisine doesn't mean banishment to bland meals. There's a cornucopia of good vegetarian cookbooks that offer up tasty recipes anyone can love. My personal favorite is "The Meat Lover's Meatless Cookbook: Vegetarian Recipes Carnivores will Devour," by Kim O'Donnel.
Use Spices Generously
I like to experiment in the kitchen and often dream up my own recipes, including a vegetarian "meatloaf" made from quinoa and spiced heavily with sage, bay leaves, and thyme. I found early on that I wasn't missing meat as much as I was missing the spices I used in meat dishes. Be creative.
Shop Around
For ready-made foods (e.g., vegetarian sausages), I've been most successful at Trader Joe's and Whole Foods, but most groceries have lots of options in the frozen section. Fresh and dry foods -- including tempeh, tofu, beans, and lentils -- can be found anywhere. Specialty items can be harder to find. Try Indian and Asian Supermarkets. 
Stay Low Sodium
Ready-made meals tend to be loaded with sodium. You won't get the maximum cardiac benefit of a vegetarian diet if you send your blood pressure soaring. The best way to keep the sodium intake low is to make your own dishes where you can, including veggie burgers -- once you make your own you'll never buy premade again.
Don't Obsess over Protein
You don't need meat to thrive. You can get your protein from a variety of sources. My favorites are tempeh, black beans, quinoa, chia seeds, and peanut butter. Since I'm not vegan, lowfat Greek yogurt is a staple.
Going vegetarian was easier than I thought, although I gained 5 pounds initially (be sure to count your calories)! Buy fresh, organic foods as often as possible and don't be afraid to experiment. One last thing: get a 9-cup food processor. It will save you lots of prep time.

No comments:

Post a Comment