Friday, August 14, 2015

Warning to Cat Owners About Washers, Dryers, and Dishwashers

Warning to Cat Owners About Washers, Dryers, and Dishwashers
When I was three, my then-four-year-old sister suggested that we put my grandmother's two Persian kittens into her washing machine with the load of laundry she was washing. A few minutes later, when the timer buzzed, my grandmother opened the washing machine and saw two puffballs, soaking wet but still alive. Twenty-four years later, I turned on my own dishwasher and, hearing mews, opened it up in time to see my five-month-old kitten leap out, terrified and wet. These stories had happy endings, but a few seconds longer could have turned a funny story into a traumatizing tragedy. That's why, from now on, I know I'll be keeping a very close eye on my washer, dryer, and dishwasher to make sure there are no cats in them.
Unfortunately, stories like mine-- where the rogue cat was noticed and saved in time to prevent a tragedy-- seem to be less common than the deadly alternative. A post on the Experience Project, by a woman who accidentally killed her cat in a clothes-dryer, has dozens upon dozens of comments from people who have had similar experiences with cats climbing unexpectedly into dishwashers, washers, and dryers. Only a few of the unfortunate kitties in these posts have survived. It's clear that these situations aren't just rare, freak accidents. They're very real, very serious risks.
Cats are curious and exploratory by nature. If they fits, they sits. If they can squeeze into a new space or explore a new crevice, they will. And, if you leave your dishwasher, dryer, or washing machine open, they will, inevitably, view that open door as an invitation to step in-- or, if you have young children, they might even be placed in the contraption without choosing it for themselves. If you're busy, distracted, or simply have other things on your mind, it doesn't take much for the poor critter to drown or be burned to death in one of these machines.
The solution: well, from now on, it's going to be policy in my house not only to check for kitties before running the dishwasher (or any other machine that might house a cat) but also to call my cats to me afterward so I can make sure that they're all in a safe place. The risk of a tragic accident is just too great to not take precautions. If you have a cat (or more than one cat) make sure you're just as careful when you run automated equipment in your home. Check before you start running an appliance and make sure your small animals are accounted when it's running. Act quickly if you hear any unusual noises coming from your washer, dryer, or dishwasher. Don't let your cat's adventurous spirit lead to a tragedy.

No comments:

Post a Comment