Tuesday, August 11, 2015

How to Be More Present in Four Easy Ways

How to Be More Present in Four Easy Ways
Our wonderful little gadgets, the web, and the nature of work are conspiring to divert all our energy and attention from enjoying the present moment. But do not despair! Here are four simple ways to be more present and stop the constant diversions.

1. Create and repeat a daily saying/phrase/mantra

I have found that using a key phrase, saying, or mantra helps to center my attention. I use the simple phrase "thank you." Beginning and ending my day, I utter the phrase out loud, which forces me to focus on the things that I am thankful for. This quiets my mind and allows it to focus on the simple and happy generating feeling of gratitude. When you start to think about all the good things you have in your life, your focus is on positive feelings instead of the negative. I have found this a powerful tool in my quest to gain control over my thoughts and feel more present in my life. You can use a quotation or your own saying to create a similar effect.

2. Walk with observation

Daily walks not only satisfy the need for physical activity but they can also help us focus on the present. When you are walking, take the time to notice your environment. Appreciate the sounds, smells, and sights without chasing your thoughts of work, life, or what to prepare for dinner. Use the walk to engage in your environment and notice the wonders around you. On my walks, I like to shift my gaze from up close to far away - soaking in the elements of nature. This simple physical and mental exercise can yield wonderful benefits. After my walks, I feel energized, happier, and more focused. I even find inspiration and oftentimes find my creative energy to be restored. This helps me produce new writing ideas or ways to solve a stubborn problem.

3. Cuddle your pet

Pets are wonderful for they force us to take care of another living thing. Spending time cuddling your pet can have a great impact on your focus and clarity. I have found that petting and cuddling my dog Buffy makes me forget my thoughts and makes our relationship the most important thing in my life at that moment. Nothing else seems to matter. I also feel calmer and happier after spending this sweet time with my dog. If you don't have a pet, then I recommend finding someone who does and experience the calming and focusing impact of spending time with a non-verbal creature.

4. Meditate

I don't mean hours upon hours of meditation here, although that certainly can't hurt. For a few minutes, put yourself in a quiet location, close your eyes, and focus on your breathing. This simple meditation quiets the mind, puts the focus on the present, and can have interesting side effects the entire day. I find myself more focused, confident, and calm even in the midst of the chaos all around us. Once you increase the length of your meditations, you can find new techniques to expand your practice.

Bonus: Silence your cell phone

In addition to these four ways to gain more focus and feel more present in your life, I cannot stress how important it is to silence your cell phone periodically. Many people who are tethered to their cell phones claim that they are wonderful multitaskers. I have never agreed with this assessment. I find cell phones distracting and can divert your focus in hundreds of different directions, from checking email, sending text messages, updating social media, etc.
I love this concept that some families adopt: during dinner, all cell phones are not to enter the kitchen. This simple rule helps families focus on eating a meal and catching up on each other's lives - making them present in the moment without distraction.
We all need to gain a bit more control over our daily lives. Lets take a breath and stop to enjoy our lives this very moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment