Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Four Lessons to Learn When Transitioning from Skiing to Snowboarding

Four Lessons to Learn When Transitioning from Skiing to Snowboarding
There are many important lessons to be learned in transitioning from skiing to snowboarding. While the transition can be difficult at times, it is key to have patience and to practice as much as possible.
As for my experience, I learned to ski when I was about five-years-old, but transitioned tosnowboarding when I was a teenager after receiving an unexpected snowboard as a Christmas present. To this day, I often go to Stowe, Vermont every winter to practice both sports.
Listed below are my tips to others who may want to learn how to snowboard after being a skier.

Be prepared for some falling

One thing to expect from this transition is that falling from snowboarding will happen. It is simply part of learning how to snowboard. This is important to know as learning how to balance is crucial. I have fallen many times while snowboarding; it happens to even the best. Be prepared for some falling as everyone has to adjust to the sport, particularly to the snowboard.

Do not test your limit as a snowboarder beginner

Another important piece of advice is to not test your limit as a beginner at snowboarding. While it may look fun to snowboard on the more exciting trails, snowboarding like many winter sports can be dangerous. As for my first time snowboarding, I wisely used small slopes that limited potentially risk.

Have proper clothes and gear for the transition

Having proper clothes and gear for the transition is important for practical and safety reasons. Before snowboarding for the first time, beginners will need to buy at least a new pair of pants and a jacket. Snowboarders also often wear baggy clothes. In addition, I strongly encourage new snowboarders to buy a helmet for safety reasons. While not all snowboarders wear helmets, wearing a helmet could prevent numerous injuries from occurring. One injury that a helmet could prevent is a concussion.

Taking a private class in snowboarding is helpful

My last recommendation is for beginning snowboarders to take a private class. Like purchasing a helmet, taking a private class can be expensive. It is however worth the expense. Private classes can teach an individual numerous tips, including how to have better technique. The information learned from a private class can also help an athlete learn how to prevent injuries. As for me, I have received private instruction in both sports, and have cherished what I learned. Finally, having a friend at the private class who also would like to learn how to snowboard could be beneficial.

No comments:

Post a Comment