Saturday, August 22, 2015

Common Symptoms of Raynaud's Disease

Common Symptoms of Raynaud's Disease
Raynaud's Syndrome, also known as Raynaud's Disease or Raynaud's Phenomenon, is one of those silent health conditions. Most people don't even realize that it exists, and even sufferers often don't know much about it. If you or someone you know has Raynaud's, it is important to understand the symptoms. Having Raynaud's myself, I have learned what to expect.
Here are symptoms of this condition:

Cold Fingers

The most common symptom of Raynaud's Disease is having abnormally cold fingers. I have heard the phrase, "Cold hands, warm heart," so often that it makes me want to gag when people say it to me. I am used to surprising people when shaking hands because my hands are so cold.
Not only are your fingers colder than normal, you get used to it. That means that my "normal" temperature is cold for most people. I don't consider my hands being cold until my fingernails are turning blue or white. This change in color often results from the poor circulation in your fingers.

Other Cold Extremities

In addition to fingers, Raynaud's can result in other body parts being abnormally cold. After fingers, toes are the most common to be affected, but other areas can suffer as well. This means, for example, that even when I am wearing normal socks, wool socks, and my house shoes, my toes are still uncomfortably cold to the touch.

Pins and Needles

Over time, the poor circulation from Raynaud's can result in sensations other than cold. For me, I get a "pins and needles" type of feeling. It feels almost like my hands have gone to sleep or have than tingly feeling. This is more common in severe attacks or after prolonged problems.

Numbness

With Raynaud's, your body can literally become so cold that it goes numb. For me, this is most often a problem with my feet.

Difficulty with Temperature

If I put my hands in front of a vent, I can't always tell whether the heat or the air conditioner is on. I can tell that it is either hot or cold, but I can't always distinguish which. This also makes it difficult to test the temperature of bath water. Raynaud's can make it difficult to distinguish the difference between extreme temperatures. (When my hands are in a bad attack of Raynaud's, I can place them in front of the vent and not feel anything at all.)

Temperature vs. Moisture

In addition to not being able to tell the difference between hot and cold, I often can't tell the difference between wet and cold. If I am checking the laundry, for example, I can't tell if the clothes in the dryer are still damp, or if they have just gotten cold. Difficulty distinguishing between temperature and moisture is a common problem with moderate to severe cases of Raynaud's.
Suffering from Raynaud's Syndrome, I understand what it is like to have all of these symptoms. It is important to understand and recognize the effects of Raynaud's on your body. For me, I know that I can't trust my hands to check bathwater temperature for my kids. Recognizing the onset of symptoms also makes it easier to be proactive and learn to avoid triggers or deal with attacks before they get too bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment