Thursday, July 16, 2015

Having PCOS Does Not Mean You Are Destined to Be Overweight

have polycystic ovary syndrome and I also often have to take corticosteroids for an unrelated condition, so I am constantly fighting to stay at a healthy weight. By "fighting" I mean a knock down, drag out, consumes my life fight most days. It is not easy for women with PCOS to maintain a healthy weight, but it is possible. If you have PCOS and are struggling with your weight, know that you are not alone as six out of every 10 women with this disorder are considered overweight.

Why is PCOS Causing Me to Be Overweight?
This is the first thing I felt I needed to learn to help me keep at a healthy weight. By understanding how PCOS causes weight gain, I could then work to fight against it. In a nutshell, this disorder causes our bodies to not use insulin properly. Insulin resistance occurs and we end up with excess glucose and insulin in our bloodstream. This excess insulin triggers more androgen (a male hormone) to be produced, causing a variety of side effects, including weight gain. 

So, How Do I Lose Weight and/or Maintain a Healthy Weight?
First, you need to see your doctor and get a physical. Never start a diet or exercise program without first talking to your health care provider. Some women will benefit from a medication known as metformin. My dad actually takes this to control his Type 2 diabetes. This medication works to help your body better use insulin. 

I do not take any medications to help with this. Instead I completely control my weight through strict lifestyle efforts. However, if you need and/or benefit from medication and your health care provider recommends it, it is not a bad thing to try it. 

Eating smaller meals more frequently can help to keep your glucose levels in check. You also want to eat a well-balanced diet with plenty of low-sugar and high-fiber foods. Daily exercise of at least 30 minutes a day is also important. This could be as simple as walking at a steady pace or something more rigorous, depending on your health. I follow a strict, daily physical therapy plan for an unrelated condition that keeps me in good physical shape. Your health care provider can help you develop an exercise plan. Strength and flexibility training are also important. If you smoke, work to quit. Also, keep an eye on your blood pressure and cholesterol level.

No comments:

Post a Comment